- 1 Introduction
- 2 Our Recommendations
- 3 Comparison Table – Best Drill Presses
- 4 Product Reviews
- 4.1 JET J-2530
- 4.2 Shop Fox W1668 Bench Top Metal Drill Press
- 4.3 NOVA 58000 Voyager DVR Drill Press
- 4.4 WEN 4208
- 4.5 Powermatic PM2800B 1792800B Drill Press
- 4.6 Jet 716200 Jdp-15B Drill Press For Metal
- 4.7 ShopSeries RK7033
- 4.8 WEN 4225
- 4.9 Jet 35430 IDP-22 Industrial Drill Press
- 4.10 SKIL 3320-01 10″ Metal Drill Press
- 4.11 TruePower Gino Development 01-0822
- 4.12 BUCKTOOL 10 inch
- 5 How to Select the right Drill Press
Have you been on the hunt for best drill presses for a long time and have been failing at finding the best product? If so, then you’re at the right place because we have a lot to offer you in that regard. If you’re a DIY-er or a professional then you know exactly how important it is to have the best tools in your workshop. A drilling stand enables you to cut down all the materials in a very precise order which makes them high usable for any bigger projects. Keeping that in mind, we have decided to enlist down top 12 drilling stands that you will find in the market. In case you don’t have enough time at hand, take a look at our Top 3 drilling machines:
Comparison Table – Best Drill Presses
|Jet J-2530||200 and 3,630 RPM||¾ HP||157lbs|
|Shop Fox W1668 Bench Top Metal Drill Press||250-3050 RPM||¾ HP||63lbs|
|NOVA 58000 Voyager DVR Drill Press||50 – 5500 RPM||1.75 HP||307lbs|
|WEN 4208||620 – 3100 RPM||1/3 HP||31lbs|
|Powermatic PM2800B 1792800B Drill Press||250 – 3,000 RPM||1.0 HP||246lbs|
|Jet 716200 Jdp-15B Drill Press For Metal||210 – 3500 RPM||¾ HP||147lbs|
|ShopSeries RK7033||620 – 3100 RPM||2/3 HP||48.3lbs|
|WEN 4225||280 RPM – 3300 RPM||2/3 HP||173lbs|
|Jet 35430 IDP-22 Industrial Drill Press||175 – 3,050RPM||1.5 HP||364lbs|
|SKIL 3320-01 10″ Metal Drill Press||570 – 3,050 RPM||3.2 amp motor||55lbs|
|TruePower Gino Development 01-0822||175 – 8500 RPM||NA||11.75lbs|
|BUCKTOOL 10 inch||610 – 2,800 RPM||6-2 amp motor||50.7lbs|
- It features a cast iron head ensuring years of durability
- A larger quill that allows maximum accuracy
- The ground steel column diameter is large for maximum head and table support
- Strong and solid construction that ensures stability
- Offers sustainable power
- The cast iron delivers years of service
- Great accuracy and support
- Highly stable and convenient for regular drilling
- The head section is quite heavy so lifting the machine may require some help
Our very first recommendation that also happens to be the best drill press for metal is JET J-2530. It offers versatility, durability and highly accurate which means you won’t find anything better than this drill press.
JET J-2530 belongs to a line of high quality drill presses that offer a wide array of spindle speeds as compared to the other drills available in the market. The best thing about this product is its base. The solid construction ensures maximum stability and convenience so you acquire maximum support while drilling.
All in all, JET J-2530 is a solid drill press that is going to make your workshop all the more interesting with its amazing capabilities and interface.
- It features a ¾ HP motor with an RPM 1,725 making it one of the strongest and fastest drill press
- The tilting table makes Shop Fox W1668 highly versatile for all kinds of applications
- You can convert this press from doing drilling operations to sanding operations very easily
- It is designed to be used as a bench top that will free a lot of floor space for you
- Features a powerful motor
- The speed range is dynamic
- Amazing accessories
- Speed changing is a bit difficult
- Doesn’t feature a standard dust collector
Shop Fox is another one of the companies that has succeeded in building a very strong and powerful drilling for metals. The Shop Fox W1668 is a powerful drilling press that will allow you to cut through any type of metal very easily. Along with that, this drill press will also enable you to cut other sorts of materials without breaking a sweat.
The speed range of Shop Fox W1688 is very reasonable yet very efficient so you can easily control it for a precise cut.
So, if you’re looking for a powerful drill press that will enable you to cut down all sorts of metals easily, you should definitely consider Shop Fox W1668
- It features a powerful 1.75 HP motor that offers you great speed
- The software is incredible that includes digital quill depth readout
- It is a cross functional machine that can easily handle plastics, metal, wood and glass
- The smart power saving technology ensures your bill remains in order
- Very easy to adjust
- Powerful and efficient motor
- Speed range is huge
- Smooth operation
- There is no light
- The table position is hard to lock
Since you are on the market for the drill for metal, you definitely need to consider NOVA 58000 Voyager.
First things first, NOVA 58000 Voyager features the most powerful motor in the market today. Provided you use a 220V wire, it will crank out 2HP for you and offers a wide array of drilling speeds. The drill provides you with 50 RPM on hard metal that can go up to 5500 RPM if you are using it on thinner materials.
If you own a home workshop and you need a drill press that will allow you to cut through a number of materials, then NOVA 58000 Voyager is exactly what you have been looking for.
- The WEN 4208 operates at five different speeds so you can choose the RPM according to the material you want to cut down
- The drilling is highly accurate and quite efficient for even an amateur
- The durable 1/3 induction motor develops ample torque and power to cut even the thickest metal
- You can also adjust the height of the worktable to make the cutting all the more convenient for yourself
- It is very compact so you can easily keep it in your small work place
- It runs at five different speed levels
- Highly durable
- Easy to use
- The work platform is not fixed to the track that makes it quite difficult to make adjustments
The WEN 4208 comes equipped with a 1/3 horsepower induction motor with an RPM rate of 620 to 3100 that will suit almost any application. This drill press allows you to choose from a number of RPM rates so you can have all the ease you need while you’re drilling metals of various thicknesses.
The dimensions of the work table are 6 ½ inch by 6 ½ inch which provide all the space you need to cut down larger sheets easily.
The WEN 4208 is the among the most convenient and powerful drill press bench tops in the market. Another thing worth mentioning is that it comes with an on-spot storage space where you can keep all the necessary tools.
- The Powermatic PM2800B features mechanical variable speed that allows full range of speed without doing any belt changes
- The quill travel is about 6-inch with only one revolution of a hand
- The fence system is adjustable and gives you the perfect 90-degrees angle
- It also features adjustable material stops that makes repetitive actions very accurate
- Highly accurate
- Great fence system
- Amazing power source
- 5-year warranty
- It is a bit pricey
This drill comes with numerous features and qualities that any high-end drill press may arrive with. The Powermatic PM2800B features an impeccable digital readout which is the most reliable way to know your exact RPM.
The Powermatic PM2800B incorporates a fencing system to provide accurate and price drilling along with a perfect 90-degrees angle.
The best part about Powermatic PM2800B drill press is that it comes with a 5-year warranty. The manufacturer claims that once you buy it, you will not need another drill press for a very long time. So, if you want to spend money only once, we suggest that you go ahead with this drill press.
- It features a large precision ground work table with twin T-slot grooves and 4 table slots so you can easily work on almost any kind of project.
- You can easily make rapid speed changes with one-handled belt transitioning
- It comes with a power switch which is a safety key that you can turn off conveniently if the device goes out of control
- The Jet 716200 Jdp-15B Drill Press For Metal possesses integrated depth stops which makes repetitive drilling very easy
- Very accurate drilling
- Solid construction
- High stability
- Great value for the money
- I didn’t find any
Well, you may find a reason to not like JET 716200 Jdp-15B Drill Press For Metal but we will be honest, there was nothing about this drill press that we didn’t like.
The Jet 716200 Jdp-15B Drill Press For Metal is powerful, sturdy, solid and accurate drill press that makes drilling metals seem like a breeze. it didn’t move an inch when we were operationalizing which made this device all the more accurate and worth buying.
This is a large table that will allow you to work on even the biggest projects of your life. The table is sturdy and very solid so it won’t move while you drill making the process easier.
Normally, we look for at least one con in a product but we guess this will be the first we didn’t find any.
- It features a durable cast iron table that you can easily level up to 45-degrees for maximum convenience
- It is a powerful 6-2 amp drill that is highly convenient for repetitive precision required in cutting materials.
- The ShopSeries RK7033 features five operating speeds that range from 620 to 3100 rpm.
- It comes with 2-year limited warranty that offers protection against defects in materials and workmanship
- Very lightweight and compact design
- Highly portable
- Operated on battery
- The dimensions are small
- Easy to handle
- The motor is weak
- Not as stable
Usually, when you think of the best drill press for metal, you usually think of a floor model because the first impression of bench tops is that they don’t work. However, that is not really the case, is it?
All the above mentioned recommendations are bench top drills and they are known for working impeccably well. So, our next recommendation is small drill that you cannot just place on a bench top but can also easily move around in the workshop. The ShopSeries Rk7033 has been manufactured by Rockwell. The brand has been reputed for manufacturing some of the best drills in the market which is why this product made it to the list.
Because of its light and compact design, this is the most budget friendly drill press on our list. If you are on the lookout for a high quality drill to be used occasionally and you also do not want to spend a lot of bucks, then RK7033 has to be the most ideals choice for you.
- WEN 4225 offers you a stroke of 4-inch that makes drilling through 4×4 boards extremely easy
- It allows you to adjust the speed anywhere between 280RPM to 3300RPM
- The WEN 4225 features a 12×12 cast iron table that can pivot up to 45 degrees on both sides for maximum convenience
- The product is back by a 2-year warranty and free lifetime service that you can make use of nationwide
- Digital speed display
- Speed can be easily adjusted
- Cooling channels
- High precision
- The table spring is flimsy
- Vibrates at higher speed
The WEN 4225 isn’t just a powerful drill press but it is also the most accurate drill you’ll ever find. This is thanks to the integration of precision lather that will help you mark the metal exactly where you’re going to drill making you achieve a highly accurate cut.
Because of these laser lights, targeting your drilling area becomes as smooth as it can be. You can easily target the metal and come out with a more précised piece of work.
So, if you’re looking for a highly precise cut and happen to be someone who uses drill press very frequently, WEN 4225 is the drill press that you must’ve been looking for.
- Accuracy, versatility and stability are the most prominent features of this drill press which makes it one of the most commendable drills on the market.
- This is a heavy-duty drill press that comes with an oversized table allowing you to drill all sorts of metals very conveniently
- The product has been backed up by Jet’s two year warranty ensuring you have a safety net for your purchase.
- The construction of JET 35430 Industrial Drill Press has been done by using top-quality materials.
- Solid construction
- Highly durably
- Steadiest drill press on the market
- The cut accuracy is phenomenal
- Difficult to move
- The chuck isn’t easily adjusted
While most of the drill presses claim to be heavy duty, this drill press certainly stands at what it says. First of all, the JET 35430 Industrial Drill Press is a really heavy machine that weighs around 364lbs. if you decide that you would like to buy this drill, you need to ensure that you have spot that you can set aside for it because it’s not easily movable.
However, the extra weight of this drill is exactly what makes it highly stable. This is among the steadiest presses that you can buy and comes in really handy for industrial work.
The JET 35430 is one of the top-quality drill presses you will find in the market. This is a heavy-duty drill which has no part made out of plastic. It is a highly durable drill press that can do almost any task that you want it to perform.
It features a 1.5 HP motor and that’s the reason of it being so powerful. All in all, if you have been on the lookout for an industrial drill that has the potential of lasting a lifetime, you have a winner.
- It comes with a bump-off switch for added safety
- The SKIL 3320-01 10″ Metal Drill Press features adjustable depth stops for repetitive drilling and accurate measurements.
- The drill comes with laser beam to ensure you make precise hole alignment
- It features 5 different speed options so you can choose the one that fits best for your drilling technique
- Amazing safety features
- Great value for money
- Precise cut
- Different speed options
- The table range is very limited
As we are closing down on our list of the best drill presses, our next recommendation is from a renowned brand, SKIL 3320-01 Metal Drill Press. Just like all the best and top models in the market. This drill press also features five speed options to allow you to fulfill all your drilling requirements.
The RPM ranges from 370 to 3050 giving you wide range options to choose your speed from. The SKIL 3320-01 10″ Metal Drill Press provides you with high precision and speed while keeping it extremely safe to use.
One of the best feature SKIL 3320-01 10″ Metal Drill Press has is the precise depth stop which most of the other drill presses struggle with. it gives you the confidence you need in making precise holes and the laser beams just adds up to your accuracy.
If you are looking for a drill press that offers high level of control while cutting metals, then you have found the right gear.
- It features permanent magnet motor with variable speed control that allows you to have high level of versatility
- The machine offers three speed ranges with an infinite option of speed selection
- The work surface is quite large and allows you to use different stock options
- The chucky key comes along with the purchase so you won’t have to sweat about buying it separately.
- Extremely versatile
- High accuracy
- Solid construction
- The instruction manual provided is very difficult to read (not a major con)
Unlike most of the other drill presses available in the market that come with induction motor, this one comes with permanent magnet motor which gives you to ability to use it even when its head is turned upside down.
There is no question that this drill press is highly versatile. The speed ranges go up to 500RPM, 6500RPM and 8500RPm which gives you the option of cutting down even the thinnest materials with exceptional precision.
This machine is a good option for all those who want to work with metal. It comes with a chuck key included for the user’s convenience.
- It comes with all the tools and accessories that are needed for the assembly of this product and for DIY-er to work.
- It has an adjustable drill speed from 610RPM to 2800RPM.
- The product features a built-in laser that provides the accurate prediction of drilling
- The drill press meets all the CSA standards
- The assembly is really easy
- Users can pick the speed according to their requirement from 5-different options
- It is ideal for metalworking and woodworking
- The motor is powerful
- The adjustment of the tool is a bit difficult
In case you’re looking for a 10-inch drill press, then this product is all you need. it comes along with all the accessories you need when using a power tool. For an instance, it comes with a laser guide that will make it easier to make hole alignments.
The Bucktool 10-inch enjoys a very good reputation among the DIYers. The machine also comes with a work light along with the laser light that allow you to have adequate light in a room where lighting isn’t appropriate to work at.
Finding a small yet useful drill press may be hard but it isn’t impossible The Bucktool has been exclusively designed for all the DIY freaks to take their projects up to the next level of precision.
The RMP is really versatile and you can easily cut through almost all kinds of materials with this drill press. Not to mention the Bucktool 10-inch is also very commendable because of its value. The device is highly affordable and provides you topnotch performance.
So, these are the best drill presses that you will find in the market. As you can see, our recommendations are among the most solid drill presses available in the market and they all come with high customer ratings.
The companies and brands are renown which makes them all the more worth buying. We hope this article has been helpful to you and now you will be able to choose a drill press that will work the best for you.
How to Select the right Drill Press
As you have read all our recommendations for best drill presses, we are hoping that you must’ve have found out exactly what you have been looking for by now.
When buying a drill press, there is a great chance that you’re bound to get confused, especially if you’re shopping for the very first time. But, if you know what you’re looking for, the shopping becomes a breeze and you never regret your spending.
There are a lot of things that you need to take into account when you’re looking for the best drilling machine. In this section, we will shed some light on all the factors that you need to consider to find the drill for all your needs.
Type of drill press
The first and foremost thing you need to consider when buying a drilling machine is what kind you need?
When it comes to buying drill presses, there are two different presses that you can choose from, either a bench top model or the one that sits on the floor.
Bench top models take much less space than the floor models and are also very lightweight which makes them the advantage of being highly portable. However, due to their small size, they’re not always the most stable drill presses.
But if you talk about a floor drill press, they’re much more powerful and can be used on almost all sorts of materials. If you’re looking for a drill press for wood or metal, then we would suggest to go for the floor models.
The next factor to be considered is speed. Speed is the rotation at which the machine moves and is denoted as RPM.
It would make a lot more sense if you go for a drill press that comes with a wide range of speed options. This will allow you to work with a variety of materials and you can always adjust the speed accordingly.
Let’s say if you are drilling a thin material, then you can always increase the speed and get the job done faster. But if you’re cutting a thick metal or wood, you need to keep the speed slow so it can cut the drill thoroughly with a precise cut.
When it comes to the motor of a drill press, you need to consider what kind of work you will be obtaining by the machine. If you’re looking for a drill press that will cut metals and wood down, then you need to go for drills with bigger motors.
Motor power is denoted in HP or horsepower. The higher the HP, the higher torque this drill will be able to create. The more powerful your motor is, the easier it will be to complete tough tasks like drilling thicker metals or other sorts of materials.
What material can it cut?
The type of material you can cut from a drill all comes down to the speed at which the machine works. The slower speed that you can sue in a drill press, the thicker material you will be able to cut with it. To make it more clear, lets quote an example here, the NOVA 58000 Voyager comes with a minimum RPM of 50 which makes it perfect for cutting thicker and tougher materials.’
You can also use most of these drill presses for wood and cutting plastics as long as they come with a high upper RPM.
The drilling capacity means how large of a piece you will be able to drill through your machine. If you want to cut down larger pieces, you will need a tool that has a larger capacity.
The hollow tube that surrounds the spindle on a drill press is known as the quill. The spindle is the part of the press that rotates the drill bit. Every drill press comes with an integrated internal mechanism that allows the quill to be lowered and raised while you’re working. This process is done by rotating the handle on the side just like a sewing machine.
The further the quill travel with each turn will enable you to cut through thickest of metals.
The size of the work table of a drilling stand will allow you to determine how large of a piece you will be able to drill on the press. You should also look out for drill presses that come with grooves to hold the metal or wood in place while you’re drilling.
You can also look for table that can be rotated to work on different angles.
Construction and durability
Last but definitely not the least, the construction as in build quality of the drill press and durability are also very important things to be considered.
Drill press isn’t an object that you can purchase every few months. It’s expensive equipment so you need to ensure the one you’re buying has a solid built quality. In order to ensure you’re buying the right drill press, choose the one that has been made up of complete metal and doesn’t has any plastic components attached to it.
This will help keep it from breaking down.
So, these are the 8 factors that you need to consider when buying a drill press. We hope this was able to help you out and now you know exactly the things you need to look for.
If you have any queries that you’d like answered in this regard or any other recommendations that we should know about, do let us know through a quick email.
Also read: Best Portable Workbench – Top 10