Sometimes scissors just won’t cut it. Have you been thinking about getting a paper cutter? It sure would save you time in your arts and crafts or even your small business. A paper cutter has been the corner stone of many great office spaces. Giving you the consistency and accuracy, a pair of scissors can’t offer. There are tons of models available from Chinese made to German engineered models. Prices can vary from as cheap as $10 to upwards of $300, but are they worth it?
They will not only save you time, but also make sure your projects always look professional, consistent, and precise. From shipping labels to scrapbooking you can use a them for a tons of different uses. The market is saturated with all kinds of paper cutters, but we have assembled a list of the top 10 best paper cutters below. If you’re in a hurry feel free to look at the three, we recommend:
- 1 Our Recommendations
- 2 Comparison Table
- 3 Product Reviews
- 3.1 Swingline ClassicCut Ingento Trimmer
- 3.2 Befacai Guillotine A4 Paper Cutter
- 3.3 Fiskars 100580-1002 Procision Rotary Bypass Trimmer
- 3.4 Swingline ClassicCut Lite Guillotine Trimmer
- 3.5 Dahle 552 Professional Rolling Trimmer
- 3.6 MARIGOLD 12” Paper Cutter & Corner Puncher
- 3.7 X-ACTO Commercial Grade Guillotine Trimmer
- 3.8 HFS (R) Heavy Duty Guillotine Paper Cutter
- 3.9 Meafeng A4 Paper Cutter
- 3.10 Rotatrim Pro M Series 15
- 4 How to Select the Best Paper Cutter
- 5 Guillotine Cutters
- 6 Materials you’ll be cutting
- 7 Build quality
|Swingline Classic Cut Ingento Trimmer||Maple Base||15”||15x4x15”||15 sheets||7.5lbs|
|Befacai Guillotine A4 Paper Cutter||Wooden Base||12.4″||17.6 x 11.1 x 3”||10 sheets||3.95lbs|
|Fiskars 100580-1002 Procision Rotary Bypass Trimmer||Plastic / Metal||12″||5 x 19.9 x 9.2”||10 sheets||0.32oz|
|Swingline ClassicCut Lite Guillotine Trimmer||Plastic / Metal||12″||14 x 17.6 x 2.6”||10 sheets||2.3lbs|
|The Dahle 552 Professional Rolling Trimmer||Metal||20″||27.75 x 14.13 x 3.25”||20 sheets||7.56lbs|
|MARIGOLD Paper Cutter & Corner Puncher||Plastic||12″||17.2 x 13.8 x 3.2”||10 sheets||3lbs|
|X-ACTO Commercial Grade Guillotine Trimmer||Maple||15″||24 x 17.3 x 4.7”||15 sheets||1lbs|
|HFS (R) Heavy Duty Guillotine Paper Cutter||Steel||12″||24 x 17 x 10”||400 sheets||35.9lbs|
|Meafeng A4 Paper Cutter||Plastic/Titanium||12″||15 x 6.1 x 1.2||12 sheets||9.8oz|
|Rotatrim Pro M Series 15||Metal||15″||21.5 x 15.8 x 3.5”||10 sheets||12.2lbs|
- It offers a solid maple base to ensure stability and safety
- The blade is self-sharpening steel, so you never have to replace it
- Features a steel tension spring to hold the blade firmly in place to provide extra safety.
- Comes with a 10-year limited warranty
- An aesthetically pleasing classic design
- Nice sharp and precise edge delivering quality cuts
- Wooden base offers great stability
- There is a learning curve to the cutting method, be sure to read the instructions. (See Types of paper cutters below to get more on this problem)
Might need some TLC some cutting boards were reported to need a little sanding
The Swingline ClassicCut Ingento is the best paper cutter for any office space.
It offers a simple clean and sturdy design done by a phenomenal company with a long history of well-crafted stationary supplies. The best thing about this product is its solid and simple design with its engraved gridline ruling. It offers a metal guard rail blade lock to provide extra safety. There are no unnecessary bells and whistles to distract or confuse you.
Many of us have seen this classic design offered in the Swingline ClassicCut Ingento before. It’s a classic design that works and will be sure to last.
- Offers an alignment grid and ruler for precise measuring
- Ideal for labels, photos, cardstock
- Solid wooden base for stability
- Features a clamp to lock down the paper when cutting
- Light weight and compact
- Superb quality cuts
- Very sharp blade can cut various kinds of paper products
- Features a clamp to allow users to only need to use one hand
- Doesn’t feature a self-sharpening blade may need blade replacement
- Might take some practice to use. (See Types of paper cutters below to get more on this problem)
The Befacai Guillotine A4 Paper Cutter is the best paper cutter for offices and workspaces with limited space. Its compact design and sharp blade will make quick work of any project.
The guillotine design paired with the ruler makes cutting consistent and accurate. It has a solid wooden base for stability and a clamp for papers to keep your fingers safe. It also has a hook to secure the blade when not in use to maximize your safety.
Whether you are a DIYer or a small business owner the Befacai Guillotine A4 Paper Cutter will get the job done at a reasonable price.
- · Great for mixed media projects (chipboard, cork, burlap paper, vinyl, foam and cardstock)
- · Features a self-sharpening blade, so you won’t need a replacement
- · Super lightweight and foldable for a tight workspace or someone on the go
- · Rotary cutting mechanism is easy to use with just a push and pull mechanism
- Very light weight and foldable
- Easy to use push and pull mechanism
- Accurate very sharp (self-sharpening) blade
- Can cut through various sheets of materials
- Slightly off scaling due to folding mechanism (5.5” to ~6” missing)
- Durability of the plastic base
The Fiskars 100580-1002 Procision Rotary Bypass Trimmer is the best paper cutter for a weekend warrior, a small business owner, or anyone looking for an easy to use sharp and consistent paper cutter.
Fiskars design of the 100580-1002 Procision Rotary Bypass Trimmer gives you the best of both worlds with its folding mechanism. Allowing you to store the paper cutter out of sight and whip it out when it’s needed. The design features a plastic sheath to keep the paper away. The easy to use mechanism allows you to stay safe and consistent.
Though it may be awkward to store in a back pack the Fiskars 100580-1002 Procision Rotary Bypass Trimmer is portable and very user friendly. A great paper cutter for any home and any project.
- Everyday use for an office space or creative space
- Features a light weight plastic base
- Offers a sharp and precise cut with its guillotine blade paired with its alignment grid.
- Simple to use design with guard rail and blade lock for all your basic safety needs
- Competitive pricing
- Offers sharp and consistent cut
- Very light weight
- Has a learning curve to it. (See Types of paper cutters below to get more on this problem)
- Doesn’t offer a self-sharpening blade
- Durability and stability of the plastic base
The Swingline ClassicCut Lite Guillotine Trimmer is the best paper cutter for anyone on a budget looking for a guillotine paper cutter.
It offers a great sharp blade for consistent cuts. If you are sticking to copy paper and a few sheets of heavier paper like card stock the Swingline ClassicCut Lite Guillotine Trimmer will get the job done.
- Offers a premium quality experience for professionals
- German engineered solid metal provides a sturdy foundation
- Self-sharpening rotary blade with a protective housing for your safety
- Has both imperial and metric measuring (with angles), a back-stop, and paper clamp for precision and accuracy
- Offers ability to cut various materials from (printer paper to heavier papers like card stock)
- Self-sharpening rotary blade stays consistent and is housed in a protective covering
- Metal base allows for a great stable experience no matter the experience
- Offers a back-stop and paper clamp to keep the cutting experience accurate and consistent
- The measurement guide is painted on and may fade due to heavy use
The Dahle 552 Professional Rolling Trimmer is the best paper cutter for a professional or small business owner who creates paper products.
With a nice blue metal base and white measurement lines the Dahle 552 Professional Rolling Trimmer offers an aesthetically pleasing working area. The back-stop paired with the paper clamp allow users to have a consistent and accurate cutting experience.
The Dahle 552 Professional Rolling Trimmer is a paper cutter for serious creative people and small business owners who depend on their paper cutter. It won’t go dull on you and its easy to use rotary cutter will keep you working efficiently.
- Has a 2 in 1 design with a corner puncher and a guillotine paper cutter
- Self-sharpening blade that never has to be replaced.
- The paper clamp has a guard to protect your fingers while you hold the paper in place.
- Convenient sizing with a light weight base
- Offers both metric and imperial measurements.
- Has a self-sharpening blade
- Has convenient sizing for any office space
- Offers a blade lock and guards to improve safety
- Has a built-in corner punch to round off corners
- The plastic base offers little durability
- Limited cutting capacity
- There is a learning curve to it. (See Types of paper cutters below to get more on this problem)
The MARIGOLD 12” Paper Cutter & Corner Puncher is the best paper cutter for any one who likes to scrap book or anyone who is needs to cut shipping labels for their small business.
The MARIGOLD 12” Paper Cutter & Corner Puncher’s simple and safe design gives it’s users a good balance of convince and consistency. The ruling on the cutting surface will allow the user to make precise cuts every time. It also has a unique and aesthetically pleasing look to it.
- A solid wood base offers a study and stable platform
- Offers a self-sharpening blade to avoid blade replacements
- High capacity copy paper (15 sheets) and can cut film, photographs, and
- Offers clean and safe design with an engraved measuring grid and a safety guard/ lock system for the blade
- A self-sharpening blade to add to its longevity.
- The wooden base offers a sturdy and durable cutting surface.
- It can handle a decent stack of paper.
- Can cut various weights of paper
- There is a learning curve to it. (See Type of paper cutter below to get more on this problem)
- Some problems with the blade locking mechanism.
The X-ACTO Commercial Grade Guillotine Trimmer is the best paper cutter for any office space and especially for a teachers’ office room. With its large capacity for cutting basic copy paper educators can slice through worksheets and assessments quickly, accurately and consistently.
The wooden base gives the X-ACTO Commercial Grade Guillotine Trimmer a nice appeal for any office space. X-ACTO has been producing quality products used in the education sector for a very long time and have proven their consistency.
- A heavy-duty paper cutter with a steel structure and blade
- Offers an adjustable paper clamp and a back-stop to be sure that your cut is precise and accurate
- Able to cut through 400 sheets of paper in one pass.
- Easy to operate thanks to a unique hinge system.
- A steel construction gives users tremendous stability and durability.
- The Paper clamp and the back-stop make cutting the right dimensions easy and consistent.
- The fence is movable which allows users to cut multiple stacks at the same length quickly.
- A superb cutting capacity, allowing users to cut through booklets and thick stacks of whatever can fit.
- Blades must be replaced (or re-sharpened).
The HFS (R) Heavy Duty Guillotine Paper Cutter is the best paper cutter for anyone who is a book binder or is working with heavy duty paper cutting needs.
The design is very heavy duty and is built to last. The grid surface is scratch resistant: a benefit for anyone looking for anyone looking for a long-lasting paper cutting solution. The adjustable fence allows users to quickly cut multiple stacks of paper maximizing their efficiency. The paper clamp and back-stop give the HFS (R) Heavy Duty Guillotine Paper Cutter a consistent and accurate mechanism.
- The most affordable paper cutter on this list.
- Ultra-lightweight and potable
- Easy to use kid-safe features
- Has an angle measuring plate and side ruler to insure accuracy
- Comes in convenient sizing and weight
- Very easy to use rotary push and pull mechanism
- Affordable pricing
- Gridlines and side ruler make it easier to produce accurate cuts.
- Blades must be replaced.
- Limited capacity and paper options.
The Meafeng A4 Paper Cutter is the best paper cutter for any creative family or crafty teen.
It comes in at an unbeatable price the cheapest paper cutter on this list and offers a safe and consistent experience. If your tired of looking for your scissors and finding them under a stack of new art work this is the perfect gift for your favorite little artist.
- Self-sharpening rotary blade made of Sheffield Steel
- Offers a grid line in both imperial and metric units
- A back stop to make sizing consistent
- Heavy duty metal construction for stability and durability with a great professional look
- Self-sharpening rotary blade allows for greater longevity
- Solid metal construction for durability and stability
- Offers a back-stop for quick consistent cutting
- Can cut materials up to 3mm thick
- After heavy use the grid lines may start to flake off.
The Rotatrim Pro M series 15 is the best paper cutter for anyone from photographers to professional card makers. It sings high quality with its British engineered steel construction.
The Rotatrim Pro M series 15 offers very precise and consistent cuts taking off the smallest of slivers you might need. It can be used on various materials like laminated papers and photographs. Its clean steel construction would be a great addition to anyone’s professional office or creative space.
How to Select the Best Paper Cutter
Type of paper cutter
There are two main types:
- a rotary paper cutter
- a guillotine paper cutter. They both are excellent for most jobs but have different tricks and nuances to them.
These are some of the best paper cutters for safety (when used properly). The blade is usually encased in a plastic shell to keep it out of the user’s way. These blades are round and rotate while they move a long the paper like a pizza slicer. They can be used in a back and forth motion and require the least amount of effort out of the two. The only concern with a rotary cutter is the mechanism can be unforgiving if pushed too hard. Rotary blades are known to “jump” out of their socket if they are pushed too hard. If you want to cut some heavy-duty materials but want an easy to use mechanism you can’t cheap out on these.
The classic paper cutter mechanism. The guillotine cutters are known to be slightly more challenging to use. They require technique: push in and down toward the paper as you cut. Most guillotine tools come with instructions on the method you are supposed to use. After you master the guillotine style your cuts will always be consistent and sharp. Guillotine cutters unlike rotary cutters can suffer some abuse. The guillotine cutters are the best paper cutters to test if you can go through something on (there is no jumping here). The main concern with guillotine cutters is safety. They are essentially thin swords locked in place for cutting paper. If you are willing to learn how to use a guillotine it can be a great asset to your office.
Materials you’ll be cutting
Most people might need a paper cutter for a few little projects that use copy paper for most of its use. There are others that might be looking for chip board cutters or work specifically in heavier weighted papers like water color paper. For these folks we recommend looking into guillotine paper cutters or high-quality rotary cutters.
How often do you plan on using your paper cutter and what kind of materials will you be cutting? Plastic is a wonderful light weight and cheap material. It’s ok to go with a plastic tool if you’re not cutting anything other than copy paper and an occasional card stock. They are light weight so you can move them around easily and usually don’t take up too much room. On the other hand, if you want to cut through heavy materials and will be using this tool frequently, we suggest you opt for a metal configuration to insure you can work efficiently and comfortably on long work days. You’ll appreciate the steel base of your tool after years of hard work on it.