Best cheese graters give you control over the coarseness of the cheese shards as well as opening up the doors to grate several varieties of cheese(and other foods). That is why it is such an essential item for even the minimalist of the kitchens. While purchasing some pre-grated cheese saves you time, it has considerable drawbacks as well: It is more costly and comes laden with preservatives and other chemicals to prevent clumping. This coating gives a gritty mouthfeel and prevents it from melting as smoothly as fresh cheese.
Conversely, cheese graters can be used for so much more. For instance, you can make latkes, coleslaws, fresh tomato sauces, grate carrots for a salad, create zest, and grate other soft foods. It really depends on the style of cheese grater you are working with. A best electric cheese grater will provide you with more power while the best rotary cheese grater will be more compact and take up less space on the shelf. I will be discussing more styles in the Buyer’s guide portion. For now, let’s take a look at some of the best graters of today. Keep in mind that I tested cheese graters across a wide range of styles to find the best ones. These models are universally admired because of their features and ease of use.
Hold on for a moment, you don’t want to read through the entire article? Fine! Here are my best recommendations.
- 1 Our Recommendations
- 1.1 Microplane 38000 Profesional Series
- 1.2 Grandma Ann’s Electric Grater
- 1.3 Zyliss E900010U Classic Rotary Cheese Grater
- 1.4 Cuisipro Surface Glide Technology 4-Sided Boxed Grater
- 1.5 Utopia Kitchen Cheese Grater for Kitchen
- 1.6 KitchenCraft Stainless Steel Triangular Box Grater
- 1.7 Zyliss Acid Etched Rotary Drum Grater
- 1.8 Ikea Stralande rotary grater
- 1.9 Presto 02970 Professional SaladShooter
- 1.10 Geedel Rotary Cheese Grater
- 2 Best Cheese Grater – Buyer’s Guide
- 3 Closing Thoughts
- Has a large surface area to grate large ingredients
- Features razor-sharp blades and non-clogging pores for effortless grating
- Stainless steel construction is durable and dishwasher safe
- Grates at only one size
- Comes with a hard to remove the sticker on its functional part – good luck removing it
My very first review is about the best cheese grater for the money. Apart from hard cheese, this beautiful little grater can shred just about anything from chocolate to carrots and apples.
Featuring a large surface area, it can easily handle bigger ingredients like fresh coconuts, etc. The Microplane 38000 Profesional Series grates cheese and vegetables with its razor-sharp teeth and absolutely non-clogging pores for the very straightforward and effortless grating experience. It has a sturdy stainless steel construction with a hanging loop and a rubber no-slip foot to ensure safe operation. What’s more, this model is dishwasher safe and comes at very economical rates.
For blade safety, it has a plastic protective cover to avoid dulling while in storage. Even though the manufacturers back their product with a warranty, its downside is that you can grate only at one size.
- Dimensions: 12 x 13 x 7.5 inches
- Weight: 19 pounds
- Color: Polished Nickel
- Material: Stainless steel & Cast Aluminum
- Warranty: 1 year
- Tremendous capacity
- Contemporary modern finish
- Versatile and durable
- Effortless cleanup
- Works like a charm on all types of cheese
- Fairly heavy and large
Capture hand-grated goodness in a reasonably high powered electric version with Grandma Ann’s Electric Grater.
This best electric cheese grater is a commercial grade, versatile piece of equipment that is pretty easy to clean and looks beautiful on the countertop – though it is very heavy. The nickel-plated finish, heavy-duty cast aluminum construction, and stainless steel bowl compose its very durable apparatus. Expect it to last a generation (or more). The hopper slides off for cleanups. You can then either use soap or hand it over to the dishwasher for quick cleaning.
½ horsepower motor is more than enough to grate pretty much anything – including soap. In general, this made in the US product is a brilliant bargain for people who want a durable and versatile grater for their professional as well as household needs.
- Lightweight and convenient
- To accommodate various sizes, it comes with interchangeable drums
- Effortless table-side use because of the ergonomic handle
- Is dishwasher safe
- Ingredients need to be cut to fit inside the grater
- Cannot grate hard cheese
Another very affordable option on my list is Zyliss Classic E900010U. This Amazon bestseller is considered the restaurant industry’s most favored table-side cheese grater because of its ability to grate more cheese in less time.
The ergonomic design is straightforward to handle and assemble. Simply combine the plastic body parts as instructed. Some people may have issues with its plastic construction, but considering the price tag, it is relatively durable. It also has a stainless steel drum to grate chocolate, hard cheese, and nuts. For cleanups, you can remove the parts and toss them in the dishwasher as it is dishwasher safe.
As this model cannot handle hard cheese, I wouldn’t recommend it if you need to grate very often. But considering its quick operation, this one can save you some precious time.
- Surface glide technology
- Sturdy construction and very durable
- Very versatile grater
- Rubber handle, and rubber grip aid comfortable operation
- It is dishwasher safe
- You have to be very vigilant because sharp blades can cut your fingers
This rectangular boxed grater allows you to grate more with fewer effort thanks to surface glide technology.
Now, there are two distinct benefits to this technology. First, the grooves minimize resistance, making every stroke effortless. Second, they elongate the length of blades, so it has a large cutting surface, Hence grating more ingredients per stroke. I’m impressed! And now its higher cost has stopped bothering me.
It’s non slip rubber handle and a rubber base help in smooth handling. Besides, the four side operation is ideal for working with multiple ingredients. Additionally, it comes with accessories for a versatile operation. For instance, it has an ultra-fine grater for citrus fruits and a ginger grater base to shred fresh ginger.
Overall, if you have to grate multiple ingredients quite often, I would strongly recommend this model.
- Versatile tool, you can use it for six different textures
- Comfortable grip
- Sturdy stainless steel construction
- Good value for money
- The rubber on the bottom falls off
- Two spot welds that hold the handle lack strength
Make delicious salads, pasta, and pizzas with grated cheese. Whether it’s mozzarella, Camembert, feta, cheddar, or any other type, the Utopia Kitchen Cheese grater works like magic. Besides, you can also use to shred other food items like vegetables, fruits, etc.
Simply rest the base against a plate and grip the comfortable handle for high volume shredding. The hexagonal design provides a variety of thickness volumes for your customized needs. You can use it for six different types of textures –slicer, coarse, fine, ultra coarse, shaver, and medium shaver. Thus it makes for a very versatile kitchen tool. Moreover, its high-grade stainless steel delivers a reliably smooth grating experience as long as you are not working with very hard food items. Though the manufacturers recommend a hand wash with a bar of soap, you can place it in the dishwasher for a quick cleanup.
Overall, you can use it for versatility. However, if you want a long-lasting product, you should better be ready to spend more than 10 bucks.
- Dimensions: 20.5 x 9.5 x 9.5 cm
- Weight: 132 g
- Material: Stainless Steel
- Size: 20cm
- Color: Silver/Black
- Warranty: 1 year
- A unique design that elevates the grating experience
- Sturdy construction and very easy to use
- Very affordable price
- Dishwasher safe
- Has a small size
- The handle has a unique design which takes some getting used to
A twist on the regular box grater, this stainless steel pyramid grater comes with fine, slice, medium, and coarse grater blades. Hence it is ideal for grating cheese, chocolates, and carrots.
Due to its unique design, say goodbye to slipups and mishaps as the triangular shape keeps it firm while grating. The finger indents on the soft grip knob offer a secure grip. The triangular shape also aids in catching the ingredients to minimize the mess. Besides, it is dishwasher safe.
With a one year manufacturer’s warranty, unique design, and such affordable price, this tool is my favorite for the value it provides for the money. A must-have item for a modern kitchen!
- Very easy to assemble and dissemble
- No-slip thumb rest and ergonomic handle
- Dishwasher safe
- 5 years warranty
- Quite small
- The material feels very flimsy
This product comes in two models: this one and a low-end classic drum grater. Compared to the classic acid-etched rotary grater, this one has an ergonomic handle and is rather easy to use – even though it is slightly expensive. Two stainless steel drums are suitable for grating fine or coarse cheese. What’s more, you can add the drums in two different ways, which allows the grater suitable for right as well as left-handed people.
Using etched blades, an ergonomic design, non-slip rubber, and interchangeable handles, it effortlessly grates even the hardest of cheese. The compartment on top of the device is where you place the cheese and hold it down using the anti-slip thumb handle. Additionally, assembling and dissembling is a straightforward process. In my experience, so far, it has no wobbly or loose parts during use. All the pieces fit very snug.
All in all, if you are looking for plastic, easy to assemble and clean rotary grater, you won’t be cheesed off with this one of the best rotary cheese graters of today.
- Very practical and contemporary posh design
- Straightforward assembly
- Fairly strong when compared with previously reviewed products
- Affordable price
- Don’t grate hard foods (e.g., I wouldn’t recommend it for carrots)
The very first feature which you notice about this model by Ikea is its contemporary design. Also, its white color blends fairly well with any modern kitchen décor.
Due to Stralande’s compact size, it is very lightweight and balanced to handle – whether you are left-handed or right. It also has a non-slip handle so you can use this tool even with wet hands. In addition, the non-stick surface keeps most of the mess away. For the rest, you can remove the insert and put it in the dishwasher for a quick cleanup. Once you are done cleaning, put it back, and assemble it without any hassle.
With two stainless steel interchangeable drums, easy to dismantle parts, reasonable cost, and contemporary design, there’s plenty to like about it.
- Very easy to assemble and maintain
- Four interchangeable cones for various food requirements
- Durable and versatile
- Dishwasher compatible
- Don’t do a fine grate
- Takes more space on the counter
Though not originally a cheese grater, this professional electric salad shooter can take care of all of your grating requirements.
A handy funnel guide directs cheese right into the machine. It is also adjustable so you can adapt it to any quantity you want at a time. Yes, the food chamber is too huge to complement the adjustable guide. All the parts are easily removable for a quick trip to the dishwasher, and you can clean the base conveniently with a damp cloth.
Moreover, it features exchangeable processing cones that come very handy in shredding, cutting, and slicing. Therefore, if you are looking for the best electric cheese grater that can also chop nuts and slice veggies, this is for you. No doubt, it is one of the best electric cheese graters in the market today.
- Dimensions: 9.8 x 4.3 x 8.8 inches
- Weight: 1.8 pounds
- Material: food-grade ABS material
- Color: available in four colors
- Easy to use and equally easy to clean
- Amazing suction power
- Compact, therefore, takes up less shelf space Portable
- Plastic parts should be handled with care
- Not very durable
If you are tired of injuring your hands multiple times or messing up your counters with food ingredients and want a safe and clean cheese grater, look no further. It is definitely the best rotary cheese grater because now you don’t need to touch the blades for grating. Simply put the food from top, gently rotate the handle, and let it do the magic. Due to its unique rotator drum, you don’t even need to use much effort. However, if you need to work with harder cheeses and veggies, I’ll recommend an electric grater like Presto 02970, which I reviewed earlier.
It comes with three interchangeable blades shredding, slicing, and grinding. Hence, it makes for a very versatile option. Additionally, the detachable parts come off conveniently and are totally dishwasher safe.
Overall, this eyecatching and compact little rotary cheese grate is simply “grate.” I would highly recommend it for people with limited mobility in their hands. Be mindful though, this is not a substitute for a food processor.
Best Cheese Grater – Buyer’s Guide
In the following paragraphs, I will be discussing various features of the best cheese grater to help you make an informed decision while shopping for a new one.
Know the Types
Cheese graters come in various styles or types (as most people call them). These are:
1. Handheld Grater: The simplest and the most economical of all cheese graters are the handheld ones. As the name suggests, a handheld grater has a handle to hold on to and a plate for shredding cheese. Users have to rub cheese against its surface to shred it. While it is convenient, it also has limited uses. But they are most comfortable to clean.
2. Micro-plane: A Microplane grater is very compact and sleek, making it the most space-efficient. It delivers super fine textured cheese for food.
3. Box: Box graters are recommended for soft as well as hard cheese. As they are usually rectangular or hexagonal in shape, they offer the most versatility. You can grate cheese with different textures for a variety of foods. They are also comparatively expensive and take up more space on the countertop.
4. Rotary style: A best rotary cheese grater is more efficient but also requires some effort on the user’s part. It has a hopper on which you have to load the food. The drum aids in providing the torque while handle rotates and provides the necessary force. You have to turn the handle to shred the cheese.
5. Electric: A best electric cheese grater is a variation of rotary style. If the rotary grater seems like a workout to you, the electric grater may just be the solution. Simply load the cheese and press the ON button, and your shredded cheese will be ready in no time. They are the most expensive and take up most space on the shelf. Plus: they also require more maintenance.
Best Cheese Grater – Features
Below are some features you should look for before making a purchase.
The best cheese grater should do more than just grating cheese. For instance, some of the models I reviewed above, like Cuisipro Cheesegrater, Utopia Kitchen, and Geedel Rotary Cheese Grater, are some of the most versatile options available today. They can grate vegetables, fruits, nuts, chocolate, and much more. In addition, they also doubly work as lemon zesters. Some graters, however, only work with hard or soft cheese. Therefore you should avoid such models if you have to work with more food items. I will recommend boxed graters for versatility.
Some low-end models are made of tin (None included in my list of reviews). You should avoid them at all cost because they are prone to rust. Then are others made of plastic, which is alright if you are low on budget. Most of the models, nevertheless, are made of stainless steel. Such products are most durable as stainless steel is rust-resistant and comparatively hard. Their blades are also sharper.
If your grater isn’t safe, there’s always the danger of cutting your fingers as graters typically have very sharp blades. Therefore you should look for models that have a rubber bottom ring. These rubber rings on the bottom prevent slippage and keep the grater stable in place. But make sure the rubber is correctly attached to the bottom and won’t come off quickly. Some models use bad rubber bottoms that come off very soon and are quite a hassle to connect it back.
Ease of Use
The convenience of a grater is determined by a soft and non-slip handle. Good models operate without much hassle and don’t require much pressure from the users. As much as possible, look for models that are comfy to hold and make less mess.
A good grater is dishwasher safe. Yup! You should let the machine do all the cleaning. Since their blades are sharp, a hand wash is usually not recommended. But you can still put some handheld graters under the tap water for a quick clean up.
In conclusion, an ideal cheese grater will make your life easier by helping you prepare food faster. If it has a durable construction, you can rely on it for a long time. You should always look at the key features of a product before purchasing it. Notice whether it matches what your requirements in the Kitchen are. A careful purchase can save you trouble in the future. For now, you can trust all the models I have reviewed above. They are loved by people all over the world because of the quality features that make life easy for their users. So stop reading! Go buy the best cheese grater.